Pythetron Release Notes - Download

Questions, feedback, and ideas
pythetron
Site Admin

Pythetron Release Notes - Download

Postby pythetron » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Pythetron early alpha release (v0.0.6)

http://www.pythetron.com/download.html

If you have not already done so, you can set up an account http://www.pythetron.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=register and compete on the global leader board as well as participate in this forum.

Keep in mind that this is an early alpha release and your feedback is essential to the development of the game going forward. Please leave feedback in this forum or email your feedback to feedback@pythetron.com.

I've made lots of improvements to the levels and the gameplay based on feedback!

Things that I did!

Increased contrast
Improved level design
Power Bomb item
Ship Power Ranks
Modified tutorials
Game slightly modified for smaller size

Things that I am working on...

Allow saving your game Online so you don't have to worry about save files and multiple installs
Better indications of which level has a "personal best" for yourself or other players
Character with voiceover in the tutorial (beginning steps to implementing the story)
World chat for all online users
Cursors over planets to better indicate which planet is selected
Star counts over "worlds" that show minimum stars needed to unlock
Achievements and pilot rankings
Make the cursor red over unclickable items
Simplifying the controls so you need less buttons
Enemy lifebars
a lot more...

bucciarati

Re: Pythetron Release Notes - Download

Postby bucciarati » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:28 am

Hi, i'm downloading right now, will give you feedback soon

Matt Eagle

Postby Matt Eagle » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:45 pm

This game is great already. Beautiful graphics and a unique gameplay. I also like that you have to earn stars by speedrunning to unlock new levels.

You should explain some more things in the tutorial:
- Make clear that you have to earn stars to unlock new levels. At first I didn't understand why I couldn't enter them yet.
- Explain how scoring works: Get up the multiplier, then kill things to score. At first I thought I just would have to get through faster.
- Let me play around with the power ups. In the tutorial you collect them all at once and don't really understand what just happened.
- Explain that your shot has an energy bar, so you can't just keep it pressed all the time. At first I thought this bar is the score multiplier.

Navigating the galaxy map with the controller could be more intuitive. Why not use the Fire and Boost keys as Start and Select? It's not necessary to have 2 extra keys. When you first start up you don't know where all the keys are mapped on the controller.

I would also expect that the score multiplier is displayed somewhere.

pythetron
Site Admin

Postby pythetron » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I'm really glad you like the game.

I've gotten similar feedback from others, but you also provide some unique insights and I will definitely address all of these things for the next release of the game.

The next release will also included an equipment shop where you can upgrade your ship (instead of being automatically equipped at the start of each level). It should bring a new level of fun and help address the difficulty spike since you'll be able to use the coins you collect to pump up your ships stats to surpass the power levels that are given to you right now at the start of each level.

With the next release you'll also have access to all 56 projectiles (blasters & missiles) and 37 ship add-ons that boost 3 key stats (offense, defense, speed) to really allow for lots of customizations to how your ship is built (visually the ship will look different as you upgrade as well).

Been working non-stop on these as well as the feedback I've received. Looking forward to releasing the new version as soon as possible.

I truly appreciate the feedback. It is extremely valuable! Thanks!

red40

Postby red40 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Am I insane for wishing their was a guide to tell me what buttons to use? or a config in the game? I'm playing on a keyboard with no idea how to boost :)

pythetron
Site Admin

Postby pythetron » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:59 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I'll add keyboard instructions to the introductory text in the game. Should be up in 15 minutes or so.

Return to “Development”